Consecutive cases of tinea faciei diagnosed in Siena between 1989 and 2003 were studied retrospectively for differences in clinical form, demographic data and species of dermatophyte isolated. The series consisted of 84 cases (59 females, 25 males) with a mean age of 27 years. Mean age of females (32.4 years) was significantly greater than that of males (14.2 years). The dermatophytes most frequently isolated were Microsporum canis (38 cases) and Trichophyton rubrum (31 cases). Clinical form was typical of tinea in 54 subjects (64.3%) and was tinea incognito because of inappropriate therapy in the other 30 (35.7%) subjects. The mean age of patients with the typical form (19.2 years) was significantly lower than that of those with tinea incognito (41.1 years). All cases in the age range 6-15 years had typical tinea, whereas the maximum frequency of cases with tinea incognito was 46-50 years. In the group with tinea incognito there was a majority of women and the dermatophytes isolated differed with gender. No such difference was observed in the group with typical tinea

Romano, C., Ghilardi, A., & Massai, L. (2005). Eighty-four consecutive cases of tinea faciei in Siena, a retrospective study (1989-2003). MYCOSES, 48(5), 343-346 [10.1111/j.1439-0507.2005.01138.x].

Eighty-four consecutive cases of tinea faciei in Siena, a retrospective study (1989-2003)

ROMANO, CLARA;
2005

Abstract

Consecutive cases of tinea faciei diagnosed in Siena between 1989 and 2003 were studied retrospectively for differences in clinical form, demographic data and species of dermatophyte isolated. The series consisted of 84 cases (59 females, 25 males) with a mean age of 27 years. Mean age of females (32.4 years) was significantly greater than that of males (14.2 years). The dermatophytes most frequently isolated were Microsporum canis (38 cases) and Trichophyton rubrum (31 cases). Clinical form was typical of tinea in 54 subjects (64.3%) and was tinea incognito because of inappropriate therapy in the other 30 (35.7%) subjects. The mean age of patients with the typical form (19.2 years) was significantly lower than that of those with tinea incognito (41.1 years). All cases in the age range 6-15 years had typical tinea, whereas the maximum frequency of cases with tinea incognito was 46-50 years. In the group with tinea incognito there was a majority of women and the dermatophytes isolated differed with gender. No such difference was observed in the group with typical tinea
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: http://hdl.handle.net/11365/2770
 Attenzione

Attenzione! I dati visualizzati non sono stati sottoposti a validazione da parte dell'ateneo