The present clinical trial was undertaken to investigate the toxicity and antimyeloma activity of busulfan (BU) and cyclophosphamide (CY) at the maximum tolerated doses of, respectively, 16 mg/kg and 200 mg/kg (BU-CY 4) as conditioning therapy for allogeneic bone marrow transplantation (BMT) in 19 consecutive patients with multiple myeloma (MM). Twelve (63%) had failed to respond to prior chemotherapy, while the remaining 37% had chemosensitive disease. No life-threatening or fatal regimen-related complications were observed. The incidence of veno-occlusive disease of the liver was zero according to Jones' criteria and 21% according to McDonald's system. Transplant-related mortality was 37%. Using stringent criteria, the frequency of complete remission (CR) was 42% among all patients and 53% among those who could be evaluated. With a median follow-up of 21 months for all patients and 66 months for survivors, the actuarial probability of survival and event-free survival at 4 years from BMT was 26% (95% CI: 7-46) and 21% (95% CI: 3-39), respectively. A more favorable outcome of transplantation was observed in the subgroup of patients with chemosensitive disease who had a transplant-related mortality of 14%, an overall CR rate of 86% (95% CI: 49-97) and a 4-year projected probability of event-free survival of 57% (95% CI: 20-93). Four of these patients are currently alive in continuous CR after 54, 66, 80 and 94 months, respectively. It is concluded that BU-CY 4 as conditioning for allogeneic transplantation for MM is associated with acceptable morbidity and relatively low mortality. This regimen exerts substantial antimyeloma activity, resulting in a high CR rate and durable responses, especially in patients with chemosensitive disease. Long-lasting remission and probable cure is possible following allogeneic stem cell transplantation for MM.
Scheda prodotto non validato
Scheda prodotto in fase di analisi da parte dello staff di validazione
|Titolo:||High-dose busulfan and cyclophosphamide are an effective conditioning regimen for allogeneic bone marrow transplantation in chemosensitive multiple myeloma|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|